Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Day 6

I wonder who died today in Darfur because of our neglect.
I decided to go on a 40-day fast in sympathy with Dick Gregory who announced at the DC rally for Darfur that he would go on a 40-day fast to "bring his mind closer to what's going on in Darfur." I feel the same way. I want to bring my mind closer to what's going on there.

I wonder if women were raped today on their way to searching for kindling. How can there be any kindling left in that country I wonder?

Stopping eating is just an outward manifestation of inner feelings.

I didn't try to motivate myself to go on a fast. I realized three days ago that subconsciously my body had just shut down. There were no hunger signals and I had no interest in food. That's when I realized I'm into a fasting period.

On Day 5 a friend visited me at the house and I tried to tell her I was on a fast. She didn't ask me why. We continued our talk and I thought is this really a friend? the conversation became less and less amicable. I realized the lack of food is starting to take its toll. I will endeavor to speak less and listen more during this period.

I felt the need to explain to friends and a few select business associates what I am doing and why. It didn't seem right to be doing this and not letting people know. So I sent out an email today to about 30 people. I don't want to come off like a martyr.

Should I send a letter to the editor of my local paper? That seems so much like grandstanding. On the other hand people need to hear that someone in their community is fasting for this cause.

Starting this blog seemed like a good resolution of the matter.

Today I emailed my primary care physician and explained what I was doing and asked for his counsel and suggestions. It seemed like the cautious thing to do. I also researched fasting on Google and ordered a few books by Gregory from Amazon to help me.

I've been allowing myself a cup of coffee in the morning (mostly milk), limitless amounts of iced tea with lemonade in it, and was allowing myself a morsel once every two days of food, but now I don't even want any food, and I realize the coffee is wrong and so is the tea. I need to shift to juices.

I've had feelings of mental clarity all day that are allowing me to get lots of work done. I don't feel tired and I don't feel deprived. Driving is a challenge though because I've noticed my attention veering in and out. The changes are starting to happen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home