Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Day 7

This morning I tried to start the day without the coffee. I know it's the wrong thing to intake during a fast. However, I'm trying to be not so tough on myself. I went an hour dragging around and then decided to go for it. That was good because it got me in gear.

Interesting new shift in my work process: instead of reading emails first off I decided to visit SaveDarfur.org and click on News Center for the latest news. That's the place to find out day by day all the things that are happening on the political front for Darfur. I was very glad about this shift. I really do want to know day-by-day what's going on -- in fact, I want to boot up my workday by learning what has just been happening. All this time that I've known about the Darfur situation I never once went to Save Darfur's News Center. I just waited till NPR or BBC had news on it. So this is a direct result of this fasting. How very cool. I will continue starting my day like this I'm sure.

Today I felt I wanted to eliminate the iced tea with lemonade I'd been having. I replaced it with water. Also, I spent some time at healthy.net reading wisdom about fasting by Dr.
Elson Haas. He has a very lengthy piece on that site discussing both the physical and emotional and spiritual aspects of fasting. His recipe for what he calls the Spring Master Cleanser really appealed to me: cup of spring water, fresh squeezed lemon juice, tablespoon maple syrup and here's the zinger, cayenne pepper. I tried it and it's fabulous!

Then I went to the NYT site since today is Wednesday I had to see what was going on in the food section, now called Dining. Whatever. And the piece that caught my eye was the one on a small but famous ice cream made in Texas and distributed only in the South called Blue Bell Ice Cream, which the writer proclaims THE best in the country. Yes, I was interested in this even though I'm fasting and even though I'm passionate about the death and suffering in Darfur.

So, the two other factions had till tonight to sign the recent peace pact and apparently they won't sign it unless certain other demands are met. Meanwhile the UN is saying it will be a minimum of 4 months before they can get troops organized to dispatch to Darfur. The sick are getting sicker and the women are being gang-raped and the hungry are dying.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home