Sunday, June 04, 2006

Day 10

We've gotten word that Catholic Relief workers have just been given permission to enter the camps. This is great news! I had read just two weeks ago that Doctors Without Borders (Medecins sans Frontiere) had decided to pull out of the camps because they were so frustrated by the government's obstacles. So, this is definitely welcome news.

I'm going through the days, and I'm into double digits now, without hunger pangs. I've had a few growls and I've daydreamed about making dishes but no hunger pangs. I attribute this to the fact that I didn't force myself into this, or decide I would do it....it just came about naturally. I heard that the brain produces a certain substance that triggers hunger. Maybe my brain is just not producing that substance.

I had 3 grapes and the juice of one orange. It felt good to freshen up the mouth.

I wonder what it's like to be a poet or an artist and be in a refugee camp. I wonder if the creative urge persists under those kinds of condition.s I fear for them, for their lives. If we really knew in detail what they have been going through we would all run to our elected officials and demand an end to this madness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home