Tuesday, June 20, 2006

God Makes His Presence Felt - Day 25

At some point last week it occurred to me what a treat it would be to be able to bring laughter to the camps.

Nice idea, but I'm not a comedian.

From the recesses of my memory came the image of a wonderful group of puppeteers in our area I had seen. They have been working as a group only in the last year or so I think and they are absolutely wonderful -- whimsical and profound at the same time. Why couldn't I arrange to have them tour the Darfurian camps! Sure, it would be a lot of hard work to fundraise, make arrangements and execute, but all of a sudden, that's what I really wanted to do. But I had forgotten the name of the group, had no idea how to find them, etc. That evening I was visiting our local food coop and on my way out I see a yellow flyer stuck to their window. Now, mind you, Weaver Street Market does not allow flyers to be posted on their window--they have a special other place to post things; and, besides, I seldom stop to read flyers. Something made me stop to read it and I froze in my tracks: the Paperhand puppeteers (oh, yes, that was the name!) would perform next day on the store's sprawling lawn. OK, this was a Wow! experience but I didn't want to get too hippy-trippy about it. I took it as a sign that I'm in synch with whatever I'm suppposed to be doing with this fast.

There's more . . .

So I'm at the lawn the next day waiting for the performance to start, I'm sitting on the grass in white pants and I spot a family a few blankets ahead who seem to have extra room on their blanket. So I cautiously approach the Mom and ask if I could possibly share a corner of their blanket. "Absolutely!" she wouldn't even let me finish my sentence. So the show starts and her young child is watching with her and we exchange ooh's and aah's at the amazing puppet creations. Then the father comes to join them too. When the show is over we continue chit-chatting and suddenly he notices my "Save Darfur" button and asks where I got it. I say at the rally in DC in April. He says, "I work there." So I'm puzzled, does he work for the rally, does he work for the organizers? or what? "No, he answers, I work in Darfur."

It should be noted that I did not faint. My jaw, however, needed coaxing to keep from dropping. This was beyond hippy-trippy far out . . . this was God showing me I am to pursue this effort. I don't know if you , the reader, are a believer, but this was truly God in our midst quietly affirming my mission. I have had some amazing encounters with "the other side" but this encounter tops them all. It is one I will cherish for a long, long time to come.

I am psyched. I am really psyched.

15 days to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home