Saturday, July 01, 2006

Day 35

I travelled all day and back to Asheville, NC with a van full of others to give my testimony of how proposed changes in FCC rules would impact my life. I managed to mention this fast and how my recent interaction with local media has been amazingly disappointing and how much worse it would be if the FCC allows for media grabs which would lead to even further homogenization of the news we get. I had a cup of coffee and one ice tea which I sipped on all day. I'm not hungry - the brain has simply switched appetite to the Off position. I was glad to notice that I was in a good humor and had energy for the whole ride back too.

I wonder what horrors occurred in Darfur today that I will never know about because a) it's too far away for papers to write about b) the media can't even get in to report properly even if they wanted to.

I wonder why the activists in the van with me didn't want to discuss the politics of Darfur. As my sister reminds me, it's out of their comfort zone. Well, this fast is out of my comfort zone. They could have at least acknowledged the issue by saying something before they all chowed down at dinner time. Later, I even found out one of them is a practicing Christian. You just don't know how people are going to act, but just take people as they are.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home